Hospital Billing and Financial Assistance It is the policy of the Institute for Orthopaedic Surgery (IOS) that payment is due when services are rendered. As a service, IOS will submit for patient third party claims. Any patient "self-pay" portion is due within thirty (30) days of receipt of the service. [For purposes of definition: "self-pay" portion is defined as non-covered services, copayments, and deductibles.]
Every effort will be made to assure that every patient account statement is accurate and easily understood by "lay persons".
- IOS will submit claims to insurance companies according to established guidelines.
- Complete billing information must be presented at the time of registration and/or admission.
- IOS reserves the right, where agreements with the payer are not to the contrary, to determine the length of time before the account becomes the responsibility of the patient and their guarantor due to the lack of timely payment from the insurance company.
- At no time, unless agreed to with the insurance company to the contrary, will an anticipated insurance payment override the patient's obligation to pay the balance outstanding.
- IOS will make its best effort to notify patients of the insurance benefits verified by the patient's insurance company within three (3) working days of the hospital's receipt of the insurance benefits verification.
- Patients and guarantors may request an itemized bill by contacting a representative of the Accounts Receivable Department. IOS does not routinely send an itemized bill to the patient.
- The guarantor will receive a monthly statement that provides an account status and lists any activity occurring since the last statement.
If you have specific questions about your account, our Customer Service Representatives are available Monday through Thursday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Spanish speaking representatives are also available.
We repeatedly offer patients access to financial help during their hospital stay and after, as well as with each billing notice. We send bills to collection as a last resort, only:
- When patients have the ability to pay some portion of their healthcare expenses but refuse to do so.
- When patients refuse to work with us to determine if they qualify for free or discounted care via federal, state, local or hospital assistance programs.
- When we are unable to locate the patient or the person responsible for the bill.
Institute for Orthopaedic Surgery does not currently charge interest on amounts not paid in full.
For information pertaining to the availability of financial assistance for services at the Institute for Orthopaedic Surgery, click on the links below.
Download a PDF of our Plain Language Summary of HealthCare Financial Assistance Policy
Download a PDF of our Financial Assistance Application
Download a PDF of Heathcare Financial Assistance Policy
Download a PDF of our Billing and Payment: General Statements
We want you to be aware that you may receive FOUR seperate bills for your surgery/procedure.
- 1st bill - From the INSTITUE FOR ORTHOPAEDIC SURGERY.
- 2nd bill - From the physician's office.
- 3rd bill - From the anesthesiologist.
- 4th bill - From Lima Pathology if a specimen was sent.
Financial assistance may be available for charges from the Institute for Orthopaedic Surgery. Charges from the following providers are not covered under the Institute for Orthopaedic Surgery financial assistance program:
Orthopaedic Institute of Ohio
- Lloyd C. Briggs, Jr., MD
- Frank E. Fumich, MD
- Steven Haman, MD
- Mark G. McDonald, MD
- Joseph R. Misson, MD
- Michael Muha, MD
- James M. Nieman, MD
- James A. O'Neill, MD
- Samir M. Patel, MD
- James J. Patterson, MD
- William Sanko, MD
- Gary Schniegenberg, MD
- Selvon F. St. Clair, MD, PhD
- Michael J. Wieser, MD
- Ben Allen , PA-C
- Kyle Anderson, PA-C
- Danielle Breece, PA-C
- Faye Imm, PA-C
- Christa Guggenbiller, PA-C
- Brian Klausing, PA-C
- Whitney Sims, PA-C
- Jason Loyer, PA-C
- Todd Otto, PA-C
- Steven Palte, PA-C
- Jared Rigali, PA-C
- Janelle Schroeder, PA-C
- Beth Warnecke, PA-C
- Troy Warnecke, PA-C
- Christopher Whitney, PA-C
- Paul H. Scheiwiller, DO
- Gerald F. Szelagowski, Jr., MD
- Glenn Buller, CRNA
- Patricia Dupre, CRNA
- William Harr, CRNA
- Fred LeJeune, CRNA
- Melinda Rakesmith, CRNA
- Diane Schoen, CRNA
- Kamaldeen Agoro, MD
- Kemi Azeez, MD
- Oluremi Ojo, MD
- Olayinka Omitowoju, MD
- Sasikala Shanmugam, MD
- Solomon Beraki, MD
- Wilfred Ellis, MD
- Ravi Kamepalli, MD
- Zoheir Abdelbaki, MD
- Ossama Abdulrahman, MD
- Masroor Abro, MD
- Paula Ankie, DO
- Mehran Arabpour, DO
- Bekele Ayele, MD
- Pierre Bamdad, MD
- Venkat Battula, MD
- Pamela Gardner, DO
- Hemraj Makwana, MD
Patient Cost Estimate:
Thank you for choosing the Institute for Orthopaedic Surgery. In compliance with Ohio Revised Code 5162.80; section 7, we have a process in place and will be happy to provide you with a cost estimate for services scheduled at the Institute for Orthopaedic Surgery.
Correspondence concerning IOS HFA plocies should be sent to the Following:
Institute for Orthopaedic Surgery
Attn: Billing Department
801 Medical Drive
Lima, Ohio 45804
Questions concerning IOS HFA policies should be directed to: